What is an Eco-School?
The Eco-Schools Programme is a pupil-led project, involving hands-on learning that gets the whole school and the wider community involved in exciting environmental projects. The programme's greatest achievement is the fact that it nurtures environmentally conscious people. Through this programme our children will carry throughout their lives the behavioural patterns they learn, influencing others with the habits that make a difference.
Achieving the Eco-Schools Green Flag Award involves following a Seven-Step Framework:
- Forming an Eco-Committee
- Carrying out an Environmental Review
- Creating an Action Plan
- Linking environmental work to the curriculum
- Involving and informing the school and wider community about progress made
- Monitoring and evaluating changes to the school
- Producing an Eco-Code for the whole school.
We have now been awarded Bronze and Silver awards, having completed step six, once we complete step seven we will be eligible for the Eco-Schools Green Flag.