Vision and Values
The governors and staff continue to drive the vision of creating a safe, happy and respectful learning environment where every child is encouraged to aspire to reach their potential.
Our character development is based on five principles:
- Instilling and promoting values. The school's golden rule of 'Respect' and core values of Trust, Love, Cooperation, Diversity, Resilience and Responsibility are the foundations we build upon to strengthen our children’s character.
- Grow morally and develop life skills to be successful citizens who make a positive contribution to this world. As a school our values run through a broad and balanced curriculum designed to promote the children’s moral growth and develop their life skills.
- A meaningful and challenging academic curriculum that respects all learners, empowering children to develop character and helping them succeed. At Downsview, children are encouraged to take responsibility for their own learning and try their hardest to achieve their best.
- Relationships between the school, parents and the community. We continue to strive and find every opportunity to foster caring and positive relationships with parents/carers and the wider community.
- Self-reflection – To be reflective is an important skill to have for personal growth; therefore we endeavour to teach children to be reflective, to evaluate and assess themselves; whilst at the same time, as staff, we regularly reflect on our own practice, in order to give the children the best possible opportunities.
Our 6 Core Values
‘Values’ are the long-term underlying principles used in deciding what is morally right and to help guide us in making right choices. We believe that if the values education underpins everything we do, then it will not only enhance the quality teaching and learning, but will support the children to make a positive contribution to the development of a fair, just and civil society.