Our Vision for PE:
At Downsview Primary and Nursery School we are fully committed to ensuring that our children are fit, healthy and active learners. We aspire to be a school that offers every child the opportunity to fulfil their absolute potential and we realise the vital role that sports and outdoor learning needs to play in realising those goals. We want our children to make healthy choices, to enjoy physical activity and to appreciate its benefits, whilst embodying our core values of collaboration and fair play. The Sports Premium money that we are going to receive will be spent in a number of ways with the ultimate intention of providing high quality sustainable PE provision for all. The impact will be measured through participation and achievement in sport, but also through pupil’s engagement in every other area of the curriculum: through improved self-esteem, health and well-being. The PE team have the responsibility for developing PE, School Sport and Physical activity within the school and deciding the effective use of Sport Premium funding. Downsview Primary and Nursery School have an excellent reputation for delivering outstanding sport provision in school, attending numerous competitions and providing opportunities for all to take part in physical activity throughout the academic year. For four consecutive years, Downsview Primary and Nursery School has achieved School Games Gold Award which acknowledges the school’s commitment to promoting healthy and active lifestyles and competitive sport.
The Government is providing funding of £150 million to schools, specifically to improve the Physical Education (PE) and Sports programmes, offered by primary schools. The sport funding, can only be spent on sport and PE provision: with an aim to improve standards and provide children with further opportunities for sport, throughout the primary phase. This is subject to change when the government releases the new guidelines. We expect this to announced shortly due to covid-19.
Downsview Primary and Nursery School has been developing its specialist PE and sports provision over a number of years, and the sports premium funding has allowed us to accelerate the improvements and implement our strategy.
At Downsview we received:
£21,014 for the academic year 2022/2023
£21,083 for the academic year 2021/2022
£20,881 for the academic year 2020/2021
£20,949.99 for the academic year 2019/2020
Please see the link below, which shows how we are spending this grant:
Key achievements to date:
Our key achievements to date include:
- 4 consecutive years of ‘Gold Award’ in association with School Games
- Introduced PE uniform/tracksuits for pupils to wear in on their designated P.E days’ policy consistent across the whole school
- Creating an active school ethos throughout the school and across the curriculum
- Engaging in numerous inter and intra competitions
- High levels of participation in extra-curricular active clubs
- Links with local sports clubs
- Increased a range of sports. We now have 16 sports on offer, including lacrosse, tri golf, gymnastics, dance, football, tag rugby, football, yoga, acro, athletics, orienteering, badminton, tennis, cricket, handball, multi sports and swimming
Areas for further improvement and baseline evidence of need:
- to continue to embed the good practice of effective curriculum PE
- Increase use of outdoor learning through SOLD
- Provide additional swimming club targeting Pupil Premium non swimmers
Some of the highlights:
We entered a total of 13 tournaments throughout the whole school. Some of the highlights: Croydon School’s dance competition, our KS1 children won to become South London’s champions and our KS2 came second. Winning the 2020 Croydon’s School Football League, we also were successful in the borough’s tag rugby competition reaching the borough finals and our athletics team had some individuals who were top 5 in the borough.