The Government is providing funding of £150 million to schools, specifically to improve the Physical Education (PE) and Sports programmes offered by primary schools. The sport funding can only be spent on sport and PE provision, with an aim to improve standards and provide children with further opportunities for sport throughout the primary phase.
Downsview Primary has been developing its specialist PE and sports provision over a number of years, and the sports premium funding has allowed us to accelerate the improvements and implement our strategy.
At Downsview we received £20,770 for the academic year 2018/2019.
Please see the link below, which shows how we are spending this grant:
Key achievements to date:
- School Games Gold Kitemark achieved 2017/2018
- Case studies on demonstrating the impact of Primary PE and Sports Premium Impact
- 79% of students were engaged in extra curricular sporting activity every week last academic year
- 36% of children have been involved in leading and managing school games events and activities
- Increased range of sports, including lacrosse and tri golf
Areas for further improvement and baseline evidence of need:
- to continue to embed the good practice of effective curriculum PE
- Increase use of outdoor learning through SOLD
- Facilitate "Change for Life" club
- Provide additional swimming club targeting Pupil Premium non swimmers
- Provide additional swimming club targeting the year 6 non swimmers.
We entered a total of 14 tournaments last year throughout the whole school.
Some of the highlights:
Let your feet compete dance competition - our KS2 children won the competition to become South London's champions and our KS1 came second. We were also successful in Tag Rugby, reaching the borough finals and our athletics team had some individuals who were top 3 in the borough.